Wednesday, July 2, 2014

THE SURE WAY TO GET ATTENTION



Today’s Bible readings are 2 Kings 20:1-22:2, Acts 21:18-36, Psalm 150:1-6, & Proverbs 18:9-10


2 Kings 20:1-6
About that time Hezekiah became deathly ill, and the prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to visit him. He gave the king this message: “This is what the Lord says: Set your affairs in order, for you are going to die. You will not recover from this illness.”
When Hezekiah heard this, he turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord, “Remember, O Lord, how I have always been faithful to you and have served you single-mindedly, always doing what pleases you.” Then he broke down and wept bitterly.
But before Isaiah had left the middle courtyard, this message came to him from the Lord: “Go back to Hezekiah, the leader of my people. Tell him, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of your ancestor David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears. I will heal you, and three days from now you will get out of bed and go to the Temple of the Lord. I will add fifteen years to your life, and I will rescue you and this city from the king of Assyria. I will defend this city for my own honor and for the sake of my servant David.’”

I love this story in the bible. Every time I read it I’m reminded of the mercy of God. It makes me so hopeful for every situation that I would ever face. It motivates me to pray.

God shows us here that nothing is too hard for Him. He can take an illness that is supposed to take a person’s life & set them free with a single spoken word. That is the power of our God. He doesn’t need special permission. He is sovereign. He is omnipotent.

I like to remind myself that what God is waiting for are His people to pray & turn to Him. We see this in our text today.  As soon as Hezekiah turned His heart to God & prayed, God turned toward him & healed him. It wasn’t the Hezekiah deserved to be healed. It wasn’t because he was so good. God made it clear that He was going to do it for His own Name’s sake.

I will defend this city for my own honor and for the sake of my servant David.’”

This is a perfect example of what God said in 2 Chronicles 7:14.

2 Chronicles 7:14

14 Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.

What if the one thing that God was waiting for was us to pray? I have had a thought in my mind for weeks now that I can’t shake. I read it in a book I was reading. Once I read it I could not stop thinking about it. It has really been challenging me. I want to share it with you.

“The greatest tragedy in the life of a believer is the prayers that go unanswered because they never got prayed.”


No matter what your situation is you have to keep a heart of prayer. Don’t let your situation become so heavy that it causes you to give up in prayer. Don’t let the challenges become so overwhelming that you forget that prayer is a mighty weapon. Don’t let your circumstance so behoove you that you forget that when you pray in the Spirit the Spirit prays through you in accordance with God’s will.

Be encouraged in these things. Never quit when it comes to prayer. It worked for Hezekiah & it is going to work for you.


Pastor Richard Schlotter

No comments: