Thursday, July 10, 2014

HOW TO AVOID THE STORM OF A CENTURY




Today’s Bible readings are 1 Chronicles 9:1-10:14, Acts 27:21-44, Psalm 8:1-9, & Proverbs 18:23-24


Acts 27:21-26
21 After they had gone a long time without food, Paul stood up before them and said: “Men, you should have taken my advice not to sail from Crete; then you would have spared yourselves this damage and loss. 22 But now I urge you to keep up your courage, because not one of you will be lost; only the ship will be destroyed. 23 Last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me 24 and said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.’ 25 So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me. 26 Nevertheless, we must run aground on some island.”

How many times have we found ourselves getting into a jam because we didn’t listen to the counsel of those that God has placed in our lives? This is the theme of our text today. The men on this ship have found themselves in the midst of the storm of the century. It was unlike anything they had ever seen before. It had the captain & the crew terrified. Here is the kicker—It all could have been avoided if they had listened to the counsel of the man of God.

This is many times the same story in our lives. God puts people in our paths that He plans on using to help mold us. Often He will use people to give us instruction that comes from Him. He will speak through different people that He has placed in our lives in an attempt to prevent us from experiencing loss & tragedy. But like in the text, many times we refuse to take their counsel to heart. In the end, we suffer great loss.

It is easy to think that we know it all. We like to trust in our own abilities. Sometimes we just don’t want to do the things that godly counsel encourages us in.

1.      We don’t agree with the advice.


2.      It is not what we wanted.


3.      It doesn’t allow us to have the things that we like.


4.      It would mean letting go of something or someone that we really enjoy.


5.      It would require us to make a great sacrifice.


When we fail to listen to godly counsel we have major consequences. God doesn’t want us to suffer loss. Remember what He tells us:

Jeremiah 29:11

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

When we suffer loss it is usually because we are not in God’s plan, God’s timing, or God’s will. That is why it is so important for us to walk in SUBMISSION to those that God has placed over us in the Lord. It is not a matter of them lord over us. It is a matter of God using them to direct & protect us from loss.

I can remember a time when I really believed God was leading me to do something. I went to discuss it with my pastor at the time. After sharing it with him, he told me that he thought it would be a big mistake. He also said that it could end up costing me in the end.

When he told me this I thought he was just being selfish. I thought he was only thinking of himself & the church. BUT I knew that he was my pastor & that I was supposed to submit to him. I submitted to my pastor & that meant surrendering the dream that I though God had placed in me.

I have to say that it all became clear over the next 2 years. My pastor was right. He was hearing from God. All the other people involved in the ordeal that went against our pastor ended up suffering great loss. We suffered NONE. In fact, we were blessed for our submission 100 fold!!!
Don’t let pride trip you up & cost you anymore than it already has. Chose today to walk in perfect submission to the authority that God has put in your life. They just may be there to save you from the storm of the century.



Pastor Richard Schlotter


No comments: