Thursday, May 22, 2014

His Dying Breath Has Brought Me Life



Today’s Bible readings are 2 Samuel 1:1-2:11, John 12:20-50, Psalm 118:19-29, & Proverbs 15:27-28


John 12:23-26
23 Jesus replied, “Now the time has come for the Son of Man to enter into his glory. 24 I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels—a plentiful harvest of new lives. 25 Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity. 26 Anyone who wants to be my disciple must follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And the Father will honor anyone who serves me.

I love the song: “How Deep the Father’s Love for Us”.  It is one of the most beautiful songs that has been written in recent years that speaks of the life & death of Jesus Christ & what it really did for us. There is a line in that song that says:

It was my sins that held Him there
until it was accomplished.
His dying breath has brought me life,
I know that it is finished.

I have tears welling up in my eyes right now as I think about the truth that is revealed in the lines of this song. To think that HE gave His last breath so we could find true life through Him is the most humbling thought that I can imagine. I often have to stop & ask the question, WHY???

When I look at my life & what I really have to offer it makes no sense. At first glance of my life a person could think, “Well Pastor Richard has a lot to offer Jesus.”

1.      He is passionate.


2.      He cares about people


3.      He has vision.


4.      He is a good communicator.



5.      He preaches well.


In all honesty, the only thing that I really have to offer Jesus is my broken, messed up life. I was none of those 5 things above until Christ came into my heart. In fact, I am nothing even close to those things. I know that it is Christ in me that causes those things to shine because it is who HE is.

It is His life living in me that makes these qualities appear. It is His love at work in me that brings all those things to the surface. I know me. I know that none of those things are part of me. BUT I also know Christ.  Know that they are part of who HE is.

When I think about that, it all begins to make sense to me. I begin to see the power behind the truth that Jesus was trying to get across to His disciples. He was sowing His life as a Seed. That Seed was going to produce after IT’S own kind. It would produce a life like His. Thank God for that Seed! How different life would be without it in us?

Jesus made it a point to teach that the seed that He was offering would lead to a harvest of new lives. The new lives that He is referring to are the lives that we now have with His Seed in us. It is what Paul mentioned when he said: “Christ in you, the hope of glory.”

I still have a hard time taking it all in when I stop to meditate on this incredible truth. Jesus really died. He was really raised from the dead. He really lives in me. The life that I live now in this body I live by the faith of Jesus Christ, who is at work in me. WOW!!!

The first lines in this same song, “How Deep the Father’s Love for Us”, says it best:

How deep the Father’s love for us,
How vast beyond all measure.
That He would give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.

Spend some time today, not thinking about all of your failures & struggles, but rather, thinking about the great love that God REALLY has for you. We get so wrapped up in our flaws & struggles that we leave no time for the thoughts of God’s great love to fill our minds. Focus on that today. You may look down on others, & even may look down on yourself, for failures & weaknesses but you have to understand that God is so filled with love for you that He gave His Son so you could share in His life & love. Let that sink deep into your heart today.

Stop letting the pull of negative things ruin your mind. God is not as concerned about your flaws as you are. He has done His part to free you from them. Take your stand & believe in the Seed that is in you as a result of the love that is in Him! This will change your life!

Pastor Richard Schlotter





No comments: