Thursday, February 13, 2014

Is It Time To Change The Radio Station?



Today’s Bible readings are Exodus 35:10-36:38, Matthew 27:32-66, Psalm 34:1-10, & Proverbs 9:7-8


Psalm 34:1-7
I will praise the Lord at all times. I will constantly speak his praises. I will boast only in the Lord; let all who are helpless take heart. Come, let us tell of the Lord’s greatness; let us exalt his name together. I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears.
Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces. In my desperation I prayed, and the Lord listened; he saved me from all my troubles.
For the angel of the Lord is a guard; he surrounds and defends all who fear him.

What is your song? What is the music of your life that others hear you singing? That is the question I want you to consider this morning. Your life may not be a song to others but it is a song to your Father in heaven. What is it that He hears?

If you are like some, your song is nothing more than a sad country western song. All that is heard is how unfair life is. If you are like others, it is a screaming & growling heavy metal song. Anger & rage is the motivation behind your song. Maybe your life is like a profane rap.

What is it that people hear you talking about all the time?


1.      Do they hear you talking about your problems?


2.      Do they hear you complaining about everything?


3.      Do they hear rage & anger constantly?


4.      Are you always talking about the same struggles over & over again?


5.      Is there ever any life in your song?



6.      Do people wish that a new song would play?


It is very important that we pay attention to the things that come out of our mouths. We are Christians. We are carriers of life & encouragement. Why is it that we speak so much death & discouragement? That is a song that nobody wants to hear. Why not sing a different song? Why not focus your song on how good God is? Why not make the things that others hear center on the AWESOME God we serve & the GREAT things He has done for us?

I know that when I think about the Lord & all that He has done I can’t help but sing a happy song. He is so good. He has saved me from so much. He has blessed me so richly. He has prospered me in every way. Why do I even care to spend any time at all sing about the FEW things that don’t go my way. In fact, even when things don’t go my way I cry out to God & He delivers me EVERY time!

I guess, or me, I find it much more productive for me to magnify the things that most accurately describe the nature of God. That is what I want others to hear. If all they hear is how hard life is & how unfair things are then they never get to hear about how great God is & how wonderful He is to His kids. If they do hear it, it is after they have already heard how awful life is. That can seem contradicting to many.

I choose to tell people about how faithful God is. I choose to let my song the send the message of how He ALWAYS comes through for me. I choose to make sure that my anthem declares how He TOTALLY delivers me. That is an accurate description of my God. It is also one that is appealing to the listener, God included.

It is not that we can’t share our struggle, we can. It is not that we can’t share our difficulties, we should. It is not that we can’t seek advice, we must. But share MOSTLY your story of victory. I have learned to keep my current struggles to myself & those that I’m accountable to. I try my best to make the content of my song be on the things that I have found victory over. If I haven’t yet found victory over it the only person I really need to be talking to is God.

In my desperation I prayed, and the Lord listened; he saved me from all my troubles.

That is what I want others to remember after they get done talking to me. I want them to hear a message of hope & victory in my song. That is how we give glory to our Savior.

Has there ever been a radio station that you just could stand to listen too? Was there ever a time when you couldn’t wait for a song to end? Let’s make sure that our song is one that people want to heat. Most importantly, let’s make sure our song is one that God loves to hear song. Let our song be a love song of His GREAT:

1.      Mercy


2.      Compassion


3.      Presence


4.      Reward


5.      Faithfulness


6.      Power



7.      Love


Sometimes we may not even realize what our song is. We have been singing it so long it is the only one we know. Maybe it is time we start being more mindful of what is coming out of our mouths. As we use to say back in my teenage years:  “You better check yourself before you wreck yourself.”

You have such a beautiful song to sing if Christ has redeemed you. It is a song that nobody else can sing unless they are of the redeemed. It is the song of the redeemed. It declares that:

1.      Our Savior LIVES.


2.      Our Savior ALWAYS comes through.


3.      Our Savior NEVER lets go.


4.      Our Savior is MIGHTY to save.


5.      Our Savior is our Healer of EVERY sickness.



6.      Our Savior breaks EVERY chain.


Richard Schlotter

2 comments:

Unknown said...

“You better check yourself before you wreck yourself.”
Thats GREAT!

Anonymous said...

"If I haven’t yet found victory over it the only person I really need to be talking to is God."

I remember telling a doctor something similar to this. I still believe it.