Thursday, January 23, 2014

Time For a New Heart

Today's Bible readings are Genesis 46:1-47:31, Matthew 15:1-28, Psalm 19:1-14, & Proverbs 4:14-19


Psalm 19:14
14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.


We see today in our reading in Matthew & in our reading in Psalm, 2 witnesses to the same topic. If why see things in the testimony of 2 witnesses the scripture teaches that it is a truth. I believe that the Spirit is speaking to us today through our readings. I believe that He is asking: "It is time for open heart surgery." 

Jesus made it clear in His teaching this morning in Matthew's gospel that what comes out of a man comes from his heart. He listed things like these:
  1. evil thoughts
  2. murder
  3. adultery
  4. sexual immorality
  5. theft
  6. lying 
  7. slander
 
He told us that these things come from our heart.  These are usually things that people want to eliminate from their lives. They are things that we can spend a lot of time trying to get rid of. We can work hard to stop doing them but unless we deal with the root of the problem they will resurface. The root of the tree must be destroyed in order to ensure that the fruit on the tree will cease.

We must understand that the real problem is a heart condition. When we let the wrong things fill out hearts we will see those wrong things produce the wrong fruit. Paul said to the Galatians


Galatians 6:7-8
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

There is plenty of opportunity each day to let the wrong things fill our hearts.
  1. Disappointments
  2. Failures
  3. Hurt feelings
  4. Resentment
  5. Revenge seeking
  6. Rehearsing our problems 
  7. Playing the blame game

These are just to name a few. This is the stuff that we are presented each day to fill our minds with. These things, if left unchecked, will sink down into our hearts & develop into attitudes which will lead to behaviors. This affects the way we treat people, respond in given situations, & view daily life. It greatly determines what we believe about ourselves. The issues of our heart matter.

Proverbs 4:23
23 Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.
 
We must be very intentional about the things that we give place in our heart. Those things can take root before we are even aware of it. There are some things that we just don't need to spend much time thinking about. Then, there are other things that need to be on our heart when we wake up & still be there when we lay down for sleep at night.

I want to share with you a few things that I do to guard my heart.

1. Forgive quickly.


There are so many opportunities each day to get offended. You can't afford to take the bait. When unforgiveness gets into your heart it is an open door for other destructive things to come. Nothing is worth staying upset about. 

Most of the years that I spent pumping drugs into my body was done because I was holding unforgiveness toward somebody. I thought I was hurting them for what they had done to me but I really just hurt myself by hanging on to it. The pain that I had to keep in order to stay mad was the very thing that drove me to use. Forgiveness could have prevented it all.

2. Stay away from people who are doubters & haters.


Jesus said it best today:


Matthew 15:13-14
13 Jesus replied, “Every plant not planted by my heavenly Father will be uprooted, 14 so ignore them. They are blind guides leading the blind, and if one blind person guides another, they will both fall into a ditch.”

Pay attention to the people that you let speak into your life. Their words are going straight to your heart. Remember, it was the wrong things being spoken into your life that got you where you are. DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN!

Surround yourself with people who believe & say about you what God does.

1. You are a new creature.
2. You are God's masterpiece.
3. You are made in His image.
4. You are God's child.
5. God is for you.
6. You can do all things through Christ.
7. You are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus.

These are the things that you want to circulating in your heart & mind. They produce overcoming faith & victory. Refuse to give place to anything else.


 3. Daily surrender to the Spirit's Lordship.


I know, at least in my life, I have to daily give my heart to the Spirit. I have to surrender each day. Many think of surrender as a 1 time event. That has never been the case for me. I have always had a very strong will. I can pick it up if I'm not cautious. Therefore, I daily surrender it.

It is what David realized when he cried:


Psalm 51:10-11
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me. 11 Do not banish me from your presence, and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.

This came after a time of great failure but I'm convinced if this would have been his cry each day, as it was in his early years, the failure NEVER would have occurred. Humility truly is the key. Surrender will keep our hearts humble.

Listen to the words of this song by Hillsong:


Lord, I give You my heart
I give You my soul
I live for You alone
Every Breath I take
Every moment I'm awake
Lord, have Your way in me

I can assure you that if this can become our honest prayer each morning then--the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart WILL BE  pleasing to MY KING.

Pastor Richard Schlotter 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Humility truly is the key.
This is good even when I think I am being humble I can see areas that show me that pride hides in many areas.

Stacey said...

I really needed to hear this because as I sat down to read today's reading and devotional I was not in a good place spiritually and it was difficult to focus on God's word. So thanks for reminding me of where my heart and mind needs to be!