Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Trap of a Competitive Spirit



Today’s Bible reading are Genesis 30:1-31:16, Matthew 10:1-23, Psalm 12:1-8, Proverbs 3:13-15



Yesterday we talked about the beauty in the story of Jacob’s life; today I want to touch on the heartache. I can’t help but feel the heartache in the cry of Rachel that we hear in in the beginning of chapter 30.

Genesis 30:1
When Rachel saw that she wasn’t having any children for Jacob, she became jealous of her sister. She pleaded with Jacob, “Give me children, or I’ll die!”

As a man, I will never be able to say that I know how Rachel felt. I can only imagine that this must have been the most difficult time for Rachel as a woman. Even though I have never cried out for child in the way that this woman did, I know what it is to cry out for something that is desperately desired.

I remember crying out when my mother was dying of cancer that she would receive her healing, I remember crying out when I was locked away in prison that God would protect my family, & I remember crying out in difficult times we have had with our children. We will all have these types of moments in our lives.

There was a sincere desperation in the life of Rachel for a child. It moved her to a place that nothing else could move her towards. She continued to cry out—“Give me children, or I’ll die.”

What bothers me most about this is the competitive spirit that was created between Rachel & her sister, Leah, as a result of the things that were lacking in one, or the other’s life. Leah was jealous of Rachel because of the love Jacob had for her & Rachel became jealous of Leah because of the children she had.

I see this happen far too many times among Christians. People can gravitate into bitterness toward others for the blessings that they have that are missing in their own lives. I want to clearly communicate that is the work of the devil. It is his attempt to deceive us into a place that will keep us from receiving from God. We are warned to rid ourselves of such things.

Colossians 3:8

 But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language.

Why do think that God so earnestly encourages us to get rid of these things? He knows that these are the things that keep us from receiving from Him. They rob us of peace. They destroy our joy. They deflate our hope. They paralyze our faith. They keep us walking in love.

All these things work together for our benefit as we patiently wait on God to fulfill His promises to us. When they are missing we give up more easily, slip into fear, we commit spiritual abortion by letting go of the promise—which is the seed to produce what we are asking for, & finally find ourselves mad at the world & eventually mad at God.

You must remember that the thief’s purpose is to steal, kill, & destroy. Hear what I’m about to say, let it sink deep into your heart; DON’T TAKE his BAIT!

Let me tell you the quickest way to be set free from the temptation to be jealous of another member of the Body of Christ—rejoice with them as God blesses them. That is what we are told to do anyway.

Romans 12:15

15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.

We must remember that we are a BODY. It is never beneficial to cut off relationship with a member of the body. If this happened in the natural we would develop a handicap. Let not handicap ourselves by letting things separate us. Let work to celebrate the victories in one another lives & share the burdens.

I want to share a word with you, just because it hasn’t happened doesn’t mean that God said no. As we read on in our story today, we see that God did bless Rachel with the thing that she wanted most.

Genesis 30:22-24

22 Then God remembered Rachel’s plight and answered her prayers by enabling her to have children. 23 She became pregnant and gave birth to a son. “God has removed my disgrace,” she said. 24 And she named him Joseph, for she said, “May the Lord add yet another son to my family.”

But I wonder if the delay was because of an attitude problem that she had.

Let’s do our best to make sure that we put an end to the jealousy & competitiveness that is often among us. Know that God has heard your prayers, He is faithful, & He loves you! He will do it for you!
·        Keep your heart right.
·        Keep the promise near you.
·        Keep your eyes on Him.
·        Keeping rejoicing.
·        Keep believing.

 

1 Corinthians 13:7

Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

 


Pastor Richard Schlotter


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Keep your heart right.
· Keep the promise near you.
· Keep your eyes on Him.
· Keeping rejoicing.
· Keep believing.