Monday, January 13, 2014

It's Gonna Be Worth It



Today’s Bible readings are Genesis 28:-29:35, Matthew 9:18-38, Psalm 11:1-7, & Proverbs 3:11-12


This morning I want to focus on a verse that will challenge us. It comes from the story of Jacob that we are reading in the book of Genesis. This is such an amazing story as we begin to see it unfold. It is one we can relate to in many ways. There is rivalry among 2 brothers, jealousy, deception, & now we begin to see a love story unfold.

Jacob goes to find a wife, as his father as asked him to do. As soon as he gets to the place where he was told to go he sets eyes on this most beautiful woman. It was love at first sight. Some don’t believe in it, but we see an example of it in the bible. He knew that she was the one. So he made the arrangements to marry her. He agreed to work for 7 years, for free, in exchange for Rachel’s hand in marriage. What a heart touching story. As my wife was reading this portion of the story she said, “Someone should make a really good movie about this story.”

I want to take a look at a verse that really captures my heart.

Genesis 29:20
20 So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her.

Wow! This gives such a vivid picture of how Jacob must have felt toward the object of his affection. He was willing to do whatever it took to ensure that he would be able to live his life out with Rachel. I’m sure that there were days when the hot sun was beating down on him that he was tired & worn out, but the thought of being able to spend the rest of his days with the one he loved kept pushing him on with joyful expectation. All the hard work seemed like on a few days when compared to the great joy he would share for far longer.

Let me ask you a question? Is your love for Jesus as strong as this? It is easy to get worn out as we serve our Lord. There are many things that come to frustrate us. Things don’t always work out that way that we would have liked them to. You may not always get the recognition that you think you deserve. It can be easy to lose the passion that we had in the beginning. As I look at this story what I notice is that Jacob found a way to keep the fire burning. It made those difficult years seem like only days.

Serving Jesus is something that we must make sure we stay passionate about. As time goes by there is a great pulling to fall into the complacency in our relationship with the Lord. If we let that happen, day seem like years & the things that we once did with joy now become hared, intense labor. Many times we stop doing ministry all together. We can get the, “It’s all about me” attitude. Notice that Jacob was focused on the one he loved & the days that he would soon get to spend with her. It made time fly by.

Serving Jesus the way He has called us to serve Him does not always come easy. Many times there is a great sacrifice involved. But I want to encourage you by saying—IT’S GONNA BE WORTH ALL!

Luke 18:28-30

28 Peter said to him, “We have left all we had to follow you!”
29 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus said to them, “no one who has left home or wife or brothers or sisters or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God  30 will fail to receive many times as much in this age, and in the age to come eternal life.”

I could shout praise God right not. I want to say it again—IT’S GONNA BE WORTH IT ALL! I want to encourage you today to focus on these things as you serve the Lord. It may not be easy right now in your life. There may be some difficult things ahead, BUT SERVE JESUS WITH ALL OF YOUR HEART BECAUSE IT IS WORTH IT!

I love what the book of Hebrews tells us:

Hebrews 12:1-2

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.

The bible tells us the way to run our race with passionate pursuit all of our days is to keep our eyes on Jesus. He is the One that we love. As we focus our eyes on Him it keeps our love burning. It is like when I was away from my family in prison, I had a picture of them on the wall right next to my bed. Every night I would roll over & stare at them. It kept them in my sight. They were on of the things that I held onto in my heart. That kept me focused. It motivated me to do the things that were needed, even the difficult things. I was reminded that there was a reward & joy waiting for me.

I want to remind you that there is a reward & a joy awaiting you, as well. Just as Jacob knew that he would soon be united with the woman he loved, we will soon be united with the God we love. These years that we have served will seem like on days. We will all declare in unison—IT WAS WORTH IT ALL!

I challenge you today to fix your eyes back on Jesus & begin to run your race with new joy & hope. Remember, you are running for the greatest prize that could ever be awarded—ETERNITY WITH THE ONE YOU LOVE!

Pastor Richard


No comments: