Sunday, August 31, 2014

THIS TOO SHALL PASS




Today’s Bible readings are Job 37:1-39:30, 2 Corinthians 4:13-5:10, Psalm 44:9-26, & Proverbs 22:13


2 Corinthians 4:16-18
16 That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. 17 For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! 18 So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.

The quickest way to make somebody fighting mad is to tell them when they are in the midst of a major spiritual battle, “This is a small thing & it won’t last forever.” Yet, that is exactly what God is telling us in this passage of scripture.

We all have major things happen to us in this life:


1.      The tragic death of a loved one.


2.      An unexplainable sickness attacks you or somebody.


3.      A broken marriage.


4.      Loss of a job.


5.      Loss of a home.



 

When these things happen it can seem like our world has come to an end. Life as we know it has been drastically altered. Yet, even though it may be a part of our life forever on this earth, the day will come when that will all change. The heartache & sorrow will not last forever.

In light of eternity, everything is pretty small & short lived. I have had things happen in my life that nobody should ever have to experience. When I was in the pit with it, the weight & pressure of it all seemed so great. But I am out of the pit now. I look back & I see that God was right all along. I thought it was going to last forever, BUT I WAS WRONG! God brought me through. He also taught me about His amazing grace.

It’s not that we forget, but rather, we grow through it. There are some things that are only a distance memory in my life. Other things I still remember like it was yesterday, but with the grace of God I have found victory over the heaviness, sorrow, & hurt. It is part of my past but it doesn’t weigh me down anymore. This is the hope that comes with knowing Jesus Christ.

God really gives us a key that can unlock the door to a new place if we pay attention to our text today. He says:

18 So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.

It really is a matter of what we fill our minds with. If we focus on the pain then we will feel it in extreme ways & for long lengths of time. But if we choose to focus on the love & goodness of God the pain becomes less & it lasts but for seasons. What we give our hearts to in the midst of the storm will determine the outcome of our lives, emotions, & our sanity.

Jesus made it clear that in this world we will have troubles of many kind, but He also told us to take courage because He has overcome them ALL! That means that HE will also enable us to overcome every trouble as well.

In closing, I want to remind you, you are going to fill your mind with something. It will either be thoughts that promote faith, hope, courage, or they will be thoughts that promote sorrow, frustration, & regret. The decision is yours. This is exactly what Jesus meant when He said:

John 14:1

“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me.


Here is a saying that I have heard that makes perfect sense to me when things start to get tough…

This too shall pass.

 


Pastor Richard Schlotter

No comments: