Thursday, August 21, 2014

DOES THE MENTION OF YOUR NAME SILENCE THE ENEMY?




Today’s Bible readings are Job 1:1-3:26, 1 Corinthians 14:1-17, Psalm 37:12-29, & Proverbs 21:25-26


Job 2:1-3
One day the members of the heavenly court came again to present themselves before the Lord, and the Accuser, Satan, came with them. “Where have you come from?” the Lord asked Satan.
Satan answered the Lord, “I have been patrolling the earth, watching everything that’s going on.”
Then the Lord asked Satan, “Have you noticed my servant Job? He is the finest man in all the earth. He is blameless—a man of complete integrity. He fears God and stays away from evil. And he has maintained his integrity, even though you urged me to harm him without cause.”

When we read the story of Job we often have thoughts like: “I hope I never have to go through anything like that.” Sometimes we may even think, “That guy really got a raw deal.” Many times we fail to recognize the positive things that are revealed in the story. We all know that it ends well for Job, but even in the beginning of the story we see some very honorable things to mention.

I want to discuss a point today that I think would do us all well to consider. In the beginning of the story we see satan accusing man before God. He was probably saying things like:

1.     People are failures.


2.     People hate good & love evil.


3.     Your creation is a messed up deal.



4.     Man is not worth saving.


This is the nature of satan. He always tries to magnify his half-truths to a place where they distort the truth. Yet notice what God said in reply to his accusations against man:

Then the Lord asked Satan, “Have you noticed my servant Job? He is the finest man in all the earth. He is blameless—a man of complete integrity. He fears God and stays away from evil. And he has maintained his integrity, even though you urged me to harm him without cause.”

God had taken notice of Job. God had seen his heart. God knew of his integrity. God knew that he was a man of character. I am sure that there were days when Job wondered if his choices to obey in the small things were even noticed, yet he maintained integrity in all that he did.

Imagine all the times that he did right when nobody was looking. Imagine all the times that he could have done things different & gotten away with it, yet each time he chose to walk upright & in integrity.

I want you to know that God never misses anything. He sees everything that we do. It may seem like nobody takes notice of your hard work & faithfulness BUT THAT IS JUST PLAIN NOT TRUE. God sees & remembers!!!

In all the accusations that satan brought, God silenced them with the mention of one man—JOB. God had great confidence in this one man because God had noticed the pattern of his lifestyle. Job had made the right decisions before. God knew he would make them again.

To me, I have to say, it must have been an honor to Job, in the end, to know that God thought so highly of him. It challenges me in my faith to maintain integrity at a high level so that God will have confidence in me as well. When the enemy speaks evil against God’s people I want the mention of my name to silence Him. It is my desire that when Christians are being persecuted that someone might say, “Well what about Richard? He walks the walk. He lives what he believes.”

I know that this is your aim also. That is why it is so important for us to make sure of actions line up with our message. Remember that faith without works is dead. So let your faith be demonstrated through your actions so the mention of your name silences the enemy.

 



Pastor Richard Schlotter


No comments: