Tuesday, June 10, 2014

What's In It For Me?


Today’s Bible readings are 1Kings 7:1-51, Acts 7:30-50, Psalm 128:1-6, & Proverbs 16:31-33


Psalm 128:1-4
How joyful are those who fear the Lord—all who follow his ways! You will enjoy the fruit of your labor. How joyful and prosperous you will be! Your wife will be like a fruitful grapevine, flourishing within your home. Your children will be like vigorous young olive trees as they sit around your table. That is the Lord’s blessing for those who fear him.

Have you ever wondered why it is so important to follow the things that God has taught us in His Word? I know I have. There are things that really seem insignificant at first glance. They may seem like they aren’t that big of deals. I want to shout to you this morning—IT MATTERS & IT IS A HUGE DEAL!

Many people have the, “what’s in it for me” attitude. They don’t want to do anything difficult or outside of their will unless there is something in it for them. Well, I want you to know that there are many good things in it for you when you obey God’s Word. Today I want to share with you 4 blessings that are promised to those who walk in obedience to God’s Word.



1.      Joy is found in following God’s Word.

The psalmist tells us that those who follow God’s ways are joyful. I have found this to be so true in my life. As I follow God’s Word joy is produced in me.
a.      When I am angry & I pray, I find peace comes.
b.      When I have been injured & I forgive, I find rest from the injury.
c.      When somebody has used me or betrayed me & I pray for them, I find a freedom from offense.
d.      When I give I see a harvest come back to me.
e.      When I cast my cares on Jesus I experience carefree living.

All of these things lead to greater joy in my life. These are all things that God tells us to do in His Word. They are things that everybody can do. They are things that will bring us joy by doing them. Yet, if you don’t do them you will not experience the joy you could have if you would have been a doer of the Word.

                  2.  Your life will be fruitful.

This is what every Christian really desires. We all want to be fruitful. I also know that fruitfulness adds to joy in our lives as well. So we can see that these things all play off of each other. Following God’s Word will make us fruitful in:
a)      Professions
b)      Ministry
c)      Family life
d)      Marriage
e)      Finances
f)       Witnessing
g)      Prayer

I want to be a fruitful servant. I know that walking in the Word is the key thing in order for me to be fruitful. That is why I choose to do obey the Word.

                  3. My obedience leads to blessing in my spouse’s life.

This may seem hard to understand, but your obedience can bring blessings to others.

Deuteronomy 5:9-10

You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 10 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Think about this for a moment. This is such a powerful motivation to do what is right. God will bless others in our life for our obedience. This is awesome. I know that this works in the most practical ways. When I follow God’s Word by honoring my wife it leads to empowering her to lead in the home too. When I love her as Christ loves the church it leaves her secure, which leads her confident in her duties at home. When I pray with her & build her up, it gives her the faith increase that she needs to be more successful at her calling as a mother. These things make my life better because my wife is so connect to me. As she improves & becomes more fruitful it makes my life & family all the more fruitful too.

                              4. I will have kids that grow up to bear fruit & care for me as I age.

My son has teased me before by saying: “You better be nice to me dad because someday I will be picking out your nursing home.” I know that he is joking, but I also know that someday my kids will have a greater role in my welfare. They will care for me the way have I cared for them. This is a result of me following God’s Word.

God’s Word tells me to support my children. God’s Word tells me not to provoke them to wrath, which can sever relationships. God’s Word tells me to teach them to honor God & God’s Word. God teaches young people to care for their parents in their old age. His Word teaches to honor parents. As I teach these principals to my children it leads to blessing in my life later. This is another reason to follow God’s Word.

I hope that as you examine the many reason to follow God’s Word that you will begin to see that there is plenty in it for you to obey ALL of His ways. I promise you, by the authority of Jesus, that it is worth the effort to follow the Word in everything. God will not forget your faithfulness to Him & His Word! Remember, God is a REWARDER of those who diligently seek & follow Him.

 



Pastor Richard Schlotter


No comments: