Thursday, June 19, 2014

THE PLACE GOD SPEAKS



Today’s Bible readings are 1 Kings 20:1-21:29, Acts 12:24-13:15, Psalm 137:1-9, & Proverbs 17:16


Acts 13:2-3
One day as these men were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Dedicate Barnabas and Saul for the special work to which I have called them.” So after more fasting and prayer, the men laid their hands on them and sent them on their way.

What would you do if you found the place where God speaks? I know that you may be wondering if that is possible. I believe that it is. Moses found the place where God spoke when He climbed the mountain. Joshua found the place where God spoke when he entered the Tent of Meeting. Jesus found the place where God spoke as He withdrew to a solitaire place.

Why were these 3 places such special meeting places with God? Was it because they were holy? Was it because they were special? I don’t think that the answer is either of those. I believe that the answer really has to do with the condition of the hearts of each of these men when they entered those places.

We see in our text today that the apostles also found the place where God speaks. It wasn’t a tent. It wasn’t a mountain. It wasn’t a solitaire place. I am lead to believe that the place had very little to do with the outcome at all. I see that in all of the instances that we have talked about so far, the one thing that they all have in common is that in each place the men had a hunger in their hearts to hear God speak.

This is such an important piece to remember when it comes to hearing God—Do you want to hear Him? The next piece is just as important—Do you believe that you are going to hear Him?

We can see that in all of the above mentioned references that the men who heard God speak wanted to hear God speak & they also believed that they would hear God speak. I know this is true because they all went to these places in expectation that they would hear from God. They also all worshipped in those places because they were in faith believing that they were going to hear God.

In the text from Acts, we see that it was a direct result of their worship & fasting that God spoke. They were ministering to the Lord. They weren’t gathered for selfish reasons. They were gathered to honor God & give pleasure to Him through their sacrifice through fasting & worshipping Him. ‘

That is really a whole paradigm shift for most people. Most still think that worship is for them. They complain if they don’t like the songs sung. They judge every movement & expression that takes place from others. They try to dictate what brings pleasure to God. They are the center of their own worship. That is why they NEVER hear God speak. That is why they stay UNCHANGED year after year.

I want to hear God speak to me regularly. I want to be transformed daily. I know that in order for that to happen I must have a hungry heart for hearing His voice & I must make worship a thing for Him & not about me.

It is like the line in the worship song that we all know says:

When the music fades
All is stripped away
And I simply come
Longin' just to bring
Something that's of worth
That will bless your heart
I'll bring You more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the ways things appear
You're looking into my heart
I'm comin' back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You
It's all about You, Jesus
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You
It's all about You, Jesus


Find a place today & give true worship to God. He longs to share Himself with you. He longs for you to minister to Him. This is really the place where He speaks.

Pastor Richard Schlotter

No comments: