Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Light Has Come



Today’s Bible readings are 1 Samuel 15:1-16:23, John 8:1-20, Psalm 110:1-7, & Proverbs 15:8-10


John 8:12
12 Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”

I remember one time I came into the church early one Sunday morning. The power was off so I had to go to the basement & turn the breaker over. It was so dark that I literally couldn’t see more than a couple of inches in front of myself. I was stumbling into all kinds of things. It was very uncomfortable. It was an area that I was familiar to, so I thought that I knew my way around. I was wrong. Every couple of steps I would trip over something or hit something.

As soon as I got the breaker on that all changed. Light opened up my eyes to what I was stumbling over. I could see clearly. I no longer had to grope through the darkness trying to find my way. I was safe. I was much more effective.

This is truly what happens when we choose to follow Jesus. It is like light coming into our lives. In fact, in our text for today Jesus declares Himself to be “the Light of the world.” He is the way that we have our eyes opened. He is the source of light that will keep us from stumbling.

There was a time when we had no hope. We were lost in darkness. But LIGHT has come. With that light is the ability to see things that we have never seen before. We can now see the things that we have been stumbling over. This is great because NOW we no longer have to stumble over them.

Isaiah 9:2

The people who walk in darkness will see a great light. For those who live in a land of deep darkness, a light will shine.
Jesus brings light into our lives. He helps us see why certain things bother us. He helps us to see the right way to respond to each situation. He teaches us how to love. He shows us the things about our attitudes that need to be changed. He reveals things that we have buried inside that keep us resentful, angry, & unforgiving.

I struggled so long with drugs. Jesus not only set me free, His light showed me how to stay free. It was by walking in His light that I have been kept from stumbling for over 12 years now.

Jude 1:24

24 To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—

I had no idea how to be a husband. I couldn’t love anybody without hurting them. When Jesus’ light came in my life it revealed to me the things that were keeping me from loving. I was set free. I was also able to do the things that I couldn’t do before.

1 John 1:7

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.


I had years of hurt trapped inside me. But the light heals. When Christ’s light shined, & then continued to shine, He began to heal the hurts deep within my soul. He made me whole. Only His light can do this.

Psalm 119:130 (NKJV)

130 The entrance of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple.

Psalm 107:20 (NKJV)

20 He sent His word and healed them, And delivered them from their destructions.

Light has come. Open your heart to His light. Your struggle will soon be over once you get the light you need. Light will expose your error. Light will illuminate your path. Light will show you the things that are blocking your path. Light will strengthen you.

Ephesians 5:13-14

13 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. 14 This is why it is said:
“Wake up, sleeper ,rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”

Pastor Richard Schlotter




No comments: