Saturday, February 22, 2014

Flowers Quickly Fading



Today’s Bible readings are Leviticus 13:1-59, Mark 6:1-29, Psalm 39:1-13, & Proverbs 10:10


Psalm 39:4-5

Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered—how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath.”

Has there ever been a time when you knew there was something about your life that you needed to change? There may have been a drinking habit that was getting out of control. There may have been a relationship that was going too far. There may have been a habit that was hurting you. There might ever have been an attitude toward somebody that was bringing hurt into your lives & theirs.

I’m sure that the answer to one of these questions is yes for most people. Maybe there is a different issue that is in your mind right now as you are reading this. The details may vary but the core of it is the same—we know that certain things have the potential to destroy us but we continue to do them

Take smoking for instance, putting aside the argument of is it sin or not, we know that it is destructive on the body. It kills people, destroys our bodies, & leads to all different types of disease. Most people who smoke know that they should stop smoking. I remember when I use to smoke. I would always say that I would quit someday, but then kept right on smoking. I hear people say things like this on a regular basis.
1.      I will quit when I get ready to quit.
2.      I will change that tomorrow.
3.      I will forgive that person, just not right now.
4.      I will change my attitude when I feel like it.
5.      When I get a little older I won’t party so much.
6.      Next year will be different.
7.      I will stop complaining when things finally get better.
8.      I will get serious about serving God when I get older.
9.      I will commit to a church once life slows down.
10.   I’m not done having fun yet.

The list could go on for miles. We all are masters at making excuses. But I really believe that the days of making excuses have to stop. That is what this Psalm of David is all about.

Psalm 39:4-5

Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered—how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath.”

Let me ask you a question:  “What if tomorrow never comes?” What if you never get the chance to change later? What if you never get to say what you wanted to say to that person?

James 4:13-14

13 Look here, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.” 14 How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone.

It is important for us to understand that we each have a specific amount of time that we will be here on this earth. We will have a specific amount of encounters with the people that God has placed in our lives. There is a definite purpose for which we have all been created for. We will not live forever in this life. It is going to be a short time. We must make the most of it for God’s glory.

I am 36 years old. These last 10 years have seemed like only a day. That means that tomorrow I will be 46. My point is that life is brief. We are but a vapor in the wind. Some people are blinded. They fail to see life passing by them. They waste the best years of their lives chasing after things that don’t matter. The spin their wheels to get what they think they need only to find out that it wasn’t what they thought it would be. Then their life is over.

WAKE UP!!! It is time to snap out of it! Life is going to pass you by while you are sleeping. You don’t have forever to do the things that God has created you to do. In just a few short days the close of this dispensation is going to come. What will you do then???
Here are 3 things that you must remember:

1.      You were created to fulfill a Divine purpose (Jer. 29:11)


2.      Your life on this earth is going to end quicker than you think. (Ps. 39:4-5)



3.      When it does, you will have to give an account of what you did with your life. (2 Cor. 5:10)

Here is what we need to do next:

1.      Ask God to teach you to number your days.


2.      Pray until you discover your purpose. YOU HAVE ONE!!!


3.      Get busy doing what God created you to do.


4.      Live for His glory because He is the One who justifies & rewards.



 

Pastor Richard Schlotter


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

today is a new day mercies are new this morning. Thank you for giving us encouragement to move forward in our walk with Jesus.