Sunday, February 16, 2014

Compassion



Today’s readings are Leviticus 1:1 - 3:17, Mark 1:29-2:12, Psalm 35:17-28 and Proverbs 9:13-18


Mark 1:40-42
Jesus Heals a Man with leprosy.



40 A man with leprosy came and knelt in front of Jesus, begging to be healed. “If you are willing, you can heal me and make me clean,” he said. 41 Moved with compassion, Jesus reached out and touched him. “I am willing,” he said. “Be healed!” 42 Instantly the leprosy disappeared, and the man was healed.


In today’s readings what really sticks out to me in this section of scripture is this verse 41 Moved with compassion, Jesus reached out and touched him. “I am willing,” he said. “Be healed!” 


Jesus is willing to heal us.  I feel so fortunate to know Jesus, for him to be my Lord and to be involved in everything he is doing here.  I see his compassion to heal everywhere I look.


This verse makes me think of the time my daughter Vivian had a seizure of some sort.  She was about two years old at the time.


The family had been out working at our farm, it was a hot summer day and we were tired of working. My husband saw that we were tired and asked if I would like to take the kids to the Lake. He said he still had some things to do there at the farm and he would meet us at home. So the kids and I went to Lake Wapello to swim and cool off.  We got there and that year they had drained the lake.  So we walked around in the lake bed for a while.  We left and were on our way home.  I looked back at Vivian in the mirror and she was staring at the ceiling.  I called her name and she did not respond. After calling her name several times and no response I knew something was wrong. I stopped the car and got her out of her seat.  She was stiffened up and turning blue.   I was very frantic by now and did not know what to do.  The only thing I could think of was Jesus please help us. Wyatt our middle son said mom we need to call 911.  Wyatt had called 911 and after that he called his dad.  The ambulance met us on Lake Road and my husband was there soon after.  They put Vivian in the ambulance.  Richard road with her to the hospital and we followed.  Richard prayed with her the ride there. All I could think to do was cry out to God for help.  I called my brother in law Shane Frazier because I knew he would pray God’s word over Vivian and I called my Dad for support.  


Richard and I knew God was going to take care of her.  I went out to talk to my family and  I think my whole family and the whole church was there in the ER waiting room.  They are such an amazing family.  I’m so thankful for them

The Dr. had looked her over and tests were done.   Vivian was coming around. They were not sure what had caused it but they said she had a seizure.  Dr’s wanted more tests done so they did more but nothing was wrong with her praise God.   Jesus healed Vivian and had compassion on our family. Vivian has never had another seizure.  I am convinced that Jesus is our healer.  He loves us all and wants to heal us.  He is full of compassion.  Today is the day to receive Jesus compassion and healing.

Kelly Schlotter


No comments: