Tuesday, September 3, 2013

September 3
No Yokes

2 Corinthians 6:14-7:7

 
14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial[a]? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:
“I will live with them
    and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
    and they will be my people.”[b]
17 Therefore,
“Come out from them
    and be separate,
says the Lord.
Touch no unclean thing,
    and I will receive you.”[c]
18 And,
“I will be a Father to you,
    and you will be my sons and daughters,
says the Lord Almighty.”[d]
Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

Paul’s Joy Over the Church’s Repentance

Make room for us in your hearts. We have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have exploited no one. I do not say this to condemn you; I have said before that you have such a place in our hearts that we would live or die with you. I have spoken to you with great frankness; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds.
For when we came into Macedonia, we had no rest, but we were harassed at every turn—conflicts on the outside, fears within. But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him. He told us about your longing for me, your deep sorrow, your ardent concern for me, so that my joy was greater than ever.
*****************************
When the Lord tells us to not be yoked together with unbelievers He is offering protection to us through this Word,.
As you evaluate your relationships in this light, do you see any compromises that you have made because of being too closely involved with those who are not walking with Jesus?
We cant remain separate from all unbelievers, of course. An essential part of our work for the Kingdom is witnessing and bringing the gospel to them in love.
But we must guard against close relationships, such as dating or marriage, being business partners, best friends, etc. with those who are not on the same page spiritually.

questions to ponder:
vs 7:1, Do you reverence God, holding him high above all others, so that you can walk in holiness before Him?

vs 4,  How do you respond to trouble in your own life? Are you able to remain joyful in the Lord no matter what come your way? How do you define "joy" in your life?
 

No comments: